Saturday 3 July 2010

Taste Test #1


We all need something to distract ourselves from Argentina's expulsion from the World Cup a couple of hours ago, so let's have lunch.

If there was one thing I was expecting when I started out on this experiment was that I would actually discover something new. The whole point was that 17 types of corn is a bit silly and that corn is corn right? Well, not quite. The above picture is Contender #2, Arcor's Choclo Amarillo Cremoso. Simple to make, you dump it in a pan, warm it through and adorn with tomato that's been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days and some avocado slices (picked this idea up in Colombia).

It's winter in Buenos Aires at the moment, the days generally sunny but the nights a little chilly so it's good to have something warm and comforting to come home to. And this really works. It's sweet, a little too much if anything, but the corn taste really comes through with some good textures from the not entirely mushed up corn. It actually doesn't look much like the picture on the tin, where the corn is much more solid. But it tastes good, so I won't dock points for that. I couldn't even I wanted could I? I'm not giving out points.

Choclo cremosos definitely wins an early victory, the other tins now have something to be judged against.

0 comments:

Me vs Corn

My Photo
jontyjago
The other day I noticed that my local supermarket had 17 different kinds of tinned corn. Over the next few weeks I am going to try each one and review it here.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive

My Blog List